(peeled, cubed & steamed for 15mins)
200g Risotto Rice
3 cups Chicken Stock
1 cup White Wine
1 Onion Finely Chopped
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Ball of Mozzarella
1 cup of Breadcrumbs
Salt and Pepper
Oil for Frying
- Melt the Butter and Olive Oil over a low heat and add the Onion and crushed Garlic. Stir and cover with a lid for 15mins or until the Onions are clear and totally soft.
- Add the Rice and Beetroot and stir well.
- Turn the heat to medium/low and add the Wine and allow to bubble and absorb in.
- Then add the Stock in the same way, little by little, allowing time for it to absorb. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- When the rice is aldente, remove from the heat and allow to cool to handleable temperatures. (I make it the night before).
- In a bowl beat one Egg and mix it into the Risotto.
- Beat the other Egg in a bowl and place the Breadcrumbs in another bowl, tossing in the Salt and Pepper.
- Taking a Tbsp of Risotto, use the back of a spoon to flattern and shape into a well.
- Take a chunk of Mozzarella (the size of small grape) and place it in the well. Then add a tsp of Risotto on top and seal it into a ball with your hands. Try and squeeze any air out of the centre (or this could cause it to pop open in the frier).
- Roll the ball in the beaten Egg and then the Breadcrumbs and set aside for frying.
- Once you have completed all the balls, heat your Oil in a pan deep enough to cover the balls completely (or use a deep fat fryer on Medium).
- Fry each ball for approximately 5-10mins. Until golden brown and crispy. Serve straightaway.
You can Refrigerate them at this stage and reheat them for a party in a 200ºC oven for 10mins.