220g Hobnob Biscuits
75g Melted Butter
50g Caster Sugar
225g Cream Cheese
250g Mascarpone Cheese
2 tsp Vanilla Paste (or 2 Vanilla pods scraped out)
50g Caster Sugar
1packet or 4 Leaves of Gelatin
1 Cup Boiling Water
1 Cup Water
6 Long Rhubarb Sticks (250g)
For the Cake
- Blitz the Hobnobs and melted Butter in a food processor until they resemble wet sand.
- Press down the mix with a spatular in 6 inch spring release Cake tin lined with greaseproof paper. Refrigerate.
- Peel 200g of the Rhubarb and place in a saucepan with the Caster Sugar over a low heat until it has become a puree. Allow to cool.
- In a mixer, whip the Cream Cheese, Mascarpone and Vanilla.
- Take a cup of Boiling Water and add the Sugar and Gelatin to it. Let it stand for 5mins stirring now and then.
- Add the Rhubarb puree to the Cream Cheese mix and then pour in the dissolved Sugar Gelatin mix. Whip till well combined and then pour onto you crust.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs.
For the Rhubarb Topping
Using a peeler, slice long strips of washed Rhubarb (including the skin- to add colour).
- In a small saucepan add the Water and Sugar and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Lay out paper towel the length of the Rhubarb strips.
- Add the strips of Rhubarb a few at a time and cook for about 20-30secs in the liquid.
- Remove them from the liquid and lay them flat on the paper towel to cool.
- Once you have enough to cover your cake, take your cake out of the tin and peel the lining paper off.
- Take the ribbons of cooked and cooled Rhubarb and lie them over the surface of the cake. (You can do this randomly or in an ombre or stripe, whatever you like best.)
- Then using scissors, cut the edges so you have a round edge that comes to the very edge of the top of the cake.
- Take the remaining Rhubarb and wrap them around the sides. Over lap them until the whole cake is covered.
- Using a brush with the Rhubarb cooking liquid, brush the whole cake, this will help it to stick and give you a smooth glossy surface.
You can also use this recipe to make individual cakes, they are very pretty and work wonderfully as a pudding for a party.