For the Rhubarb
- Prepare your Rhubarb as per my Poached Rhubarb recipe.
- Preheat your own to 75°C
- Wash your Rhubarb and cut it into 5cm sections.
- Lay them out in a baking tray large enough that they don’t overlap.
- Add the Spices, Juice and Vanilla to the tray.
- Bake for 45mins to an hour.
- The Rhubarb is done when it is soft to the touch but doesn’t break up. Bare in mind that it will continue to cook after you remove it from the oven, so slightly undercook it.
- Allow to cool.
For the Ice Cream
- If you have an Ice Cream Machine prepare it for use. If not use a metal bowl in your mixer, prepare it by placing it in the freezer to cool.
- Add the Custard to the Machine and start the machine, allow it to run until it has thickened to a soft serve texture. Then add half the Rhubarb and stir through. Serve Immediately with extra Rhubarb and the cooking juice.
- OR if using a frozen bowl… beat with a mixer to begin to cool and whip it. Then return to the freezer for a further half an hour. Repeat the beating and freezing until you have a soft serve texture. Then add half the Rhubarb and stir through. Serve Immediately with extra Rhubarb and the cooking juice.