2 Cups of Red Wine
¼ Cup of Fraise des Bois
12 Small Red Plums
2 Small Cinnamon sticks
3 Whole Star Anise
¼ Cup of Caster Sugar
- Half the plums and remove the stones.
- Combine all the ingredients in a pan and mix so that the sugar is dissolving evenly.
- Place on the hob on a very low heat for 1 hour, stirring lightly during the cooking time. (you can also do this in a low oven on about 80-100ºC)
- The plums should be cooked but still whole by the end of the process, the skin should just be peeling.
- Remove the plums from the sauce and set aside, then bring the sauce to the boil and reduce to make a syrupy glaze. (if you are making them as an accompany to meat, add the roasting meat juices to make a jus)
You can also apply the principles to peaches and other stoned fruit.
For Peaches I use Elderflower Champagne instead of Red Wine – but you could use White Wine or Muscat (White Desert Wine) and then add some Elderflower Cordial.
For Apricots I use Earl Grey Tea and Muscat.