5ml Citric or Tartaric Acid
600 ml Water
400g Preserving Sugar (as per juice measurements made below – 400g per 500ml of juice)
- Wash the berries and then drain them. Place them in a preserving pan with the Acid and Water. Stir and crush the fruit with a wooden spoon as the the mixture comes to simmering point.
- Simmer for 30 mins or until the fruit is soft.
- Strain the mixture through a jelly bag or muslin inside a colander over night.
- Take the juice strained over night and measure it, adding 400g of sugar for every 500ml of juice into a clean pan.
- Place the pan over a low heat and stir till the sugar has dissolved completely, then rapidly bring to the boil until it reaches 105ºC and the mixture is setting on tests.
- Pour the jelly into warm jars and allow to cool.
Or you could Add Apples
You can also make Apple and Blackberry Jelly by using equal measurements of both fruit and removing the acid.
Or to make a red not dark jelly by using the red (unripe) blackberries.