- Mix the dough to the instructions on the pack. I use a Kenwood mixer with a dough hook for the first knead, allow it to rest for 15mins and then hand knead to get to this stage.
Cheese and Pancetta
- Allow to rest and then stretch to make a flat rectangle about 20cm by 40cm.
- Grate the Cheddar onto the dough in diagonal lines.
- Alternate with the Pancetta and Cheese.
The Roll Up
- Once you have covered the whole of the dough in cheese and Pancetta layers, roll the dough into a coil starting from a corner. Keep it as tight as possible
Cut and Twist
- Take a knife and cut the whole roll in half leaving only the end attached.
- Taking the two parts twist them together to make a braid.
- Place the loaf on non-stick foil and cover it with a damp cloth and leave to rise for 40mins in a warm dry place.
- After this is should be about a third bigger.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C.
- Bake the bread at 220°C for 15-20mins.
- At this point check the loaf and see if any of the cheese is catching. If it is, cover it with tin foil to protect it and return it to the oven for a further 10mins, or until it sounds hollow when you knock it with you hand.
This bread is epic toasted. You can use a toaster or for something really indulgent fry it in a little butter.