- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cream the Butter and Sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the Eggs, and then sift the Flour and fold it into the mix.
- Grease your 20cm square cake tin (unless you have mini cake tins like these).
- Pour in the mix and bake for 20-30mins or until golden and springy.
- Allow the cake to start to cool in the tin and then turn out went warm but not hot. If necessary loosen the cake with a little knife before hand.
- Using a cutter, cut circles out, two per cake. I managed to get ten circles, to make 5 cakes.
Crystallise the berries, see full the full recipe, they will take at least an hour to dry before use.
- Take your Jam and spread it across the top of every cake.
- Add the Elderflower Syrup and Cream to a bowl and beat until just stiff. Now use your Cream to cover half the cakes.
- Layer the cakes and then dollop a generous tsp of Cream on the top of each. Finally top with Crystallised Gooseberries and Elderflowers (or Cranberries).