2kg Gammon Joint (on the bone tastes better but is more difficult to carve, I like to buy smoked as most supermarkets smoke so lightly it just adds a like richness)
1 Onion (cut in half)
2 litres of Dark Sodas (an approximate mix of Coke, Root Beer and Dandelion Burdock)
8 Cloves whole
1 Cinnamon Stick
- This kind of mild cure gammon shouldn’t need soaking but if you think you are using a very salty piece cover in cold water and bring to the boil. Then continue…
- Place Gammon Joint in a large saucepan (stock pans are best) skin side down if possible.
- Add the onion around it and cover with sodas, then add spices to the pan.
- Bring pan to the boil, then reduce to a simmer with a lid loosely on for 2 and a half hours. (if you cook a bigger joint add an hour a kg).
- When the cooking time is up I like to leave the ham in the liquid to cool, allowing it maximum time to absorb the flavours. (It is possible to add a glaze at this stage, however I tried several and didn’t feel it added anything amazing to it. If you do want to do one, I recommend a treacle based one as advised in the original recipe HERE!)
- Once cool remove and slice.
If you want to make pulled pork (which is falling apart), you need to cook the all the same ingredients but instead of simmering for two hours, you want the lowest possible flame (or a 50-80ºC oven) for 4-6 hours.
Although if your lucky you will get a lovely fatty joint (this is better for flavour and texture) and then you can normally get a a bit of both like I have here.