300g Beef Short Ribs
2 Tbsp Plain Flour
Salt and White Pepper
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
¼ cup Light Soy Sauce
¼ cup Ketjap Manis Sweet Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
¼ Cup Rice Wine
½ cup Beef Stock
¼ cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp Chilli Flake
4 Cloves Garlic, crushed
1 Red Onion, chopped
1 Tbsp Ginger, grated
2 Spring Onions, sliced
Bunch of Coriander
Bunch of Mustard Cress
Bunch of Pea Shoots
Sliced Red Chilli, optional
- Season the Flour with Salt and Pepper. Toss the Beef in Flour coating it on all sides.
- Heat the Olive Oil in a pan. Add the Beef and brown on all sides. The meat should be a dark caramelised colour all over.
- Remove the meat from the pan and place in the slow cooker with the Soy Sauces, Rice Wine, Stock, Sugar, Sesame Oil and Chilli flakes.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the Garlic, Onion and Ginger. Stir over a low heat to soften. Then add to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4hrs, ocassionally turning the meat to ensure it cooks on all sides in sauce.
- Then allow to cool, ready for serving the next day (however you could miss this out and continue with the below steps straight away).
- Remove the Beef from the sauce, transfer the sauce into a pan and bring to the boil, reduce until glossy.
- Meanwhile cook your rice, and chop your toppings.
- Once the sauce has reduced, add the Meat back to it, and coat it in the glossy liquid until heated through. It will be nice and warm after about 10/15mins in the pan with the hot sauce.
- Plate your Rice, add the Beef and Sauce and top with all the extras!