450g Hobnobs (or gram crackers)
125g Melted Salted Butter
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Ground Cloves
225g Butter (room temperature)
225g Granulated Sugar
175g Dark Chocolate
tsp Vanilla Extract
60g Icing Sugar
For the Crust
- Empty the biscuits (Hobnobs) into your food processor and blend until crumbs.
- Melt the Butter in the microwave and pour it over the Hobnob crumbs along with the additional Salt and Cloves and blend until the mix resembles wet sand.
- Pour the mix into your deep pie dish (I use a 10″ loose bottom one with a 2″ rise, so I can take the pie out to serve it) and press it down with a wooden spoon. Then refrigerate the crust.
For the Chocolate Filling
- Cream the Butter and Sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Melt the Chocolate (I use a microwave to do this, at 30sec intervals stirring in-between).
- Add the melted Chocolate and Vanilla to the butter cream and mix well.
- Add one Egg at a time to the mix, making sure to blend very throughly on medium/fast before adding the next. I allow 5 mins per egg. Time this to be sure.
- Pour into the refrigerated crust and cling film (try not to let the cling film touch the top, I did a little here and you can see it takes away the gloss top when you pull it off, which doesn’t matter if you want to cover the top in cream but if you want to allow some to show it won’t be as pretty).
- Refridgerate for at least 4 hours.
Sift the sugar into the cream and whip until stiff. You can decorate the pie with the cream in anyway you like, I swirled it over the top with a pallet knife but you can pipe it. You can also add chocolate to decorate the top, I melted it and let it cool before scraping it into shards but you can do whatever you like. Chopped chucks look just as great.