2 tbsp Caster Sugar
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
½ Lemon juice
½ cup Water
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 ½ Cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
225g Cold Butter
¼ to ⅓ Ice Water
1 Cup Mulberries
Any berry would work well
- To make your pastry, mix the dry ingredients in a food processor.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Slowly add the Water until the dough just comes together but is not wet. Add as little water as possible to make the dough come together.
- Leave the dough to rest in the fridge for one hour or overnight.
- Peel 5 Apples, then core and chop them roughly.
- Place them in a saucepan with the Sugars, Lemon Juice, Spices, and Water; simmer until soft and saucy.
- Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Roll out half of your pastry and line a 10-inch pie tin, brush with Egg, and blind bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden.
The Egg creates a barrier to the apple juice to ensure the pastry stays crisp.
- While the pie crust is baking, peel, core, and segment your remaining five Apples.
- Add the apple sauce, fresh Apples, and your Mulberries to the pastry shell.
- Roll out the remaining Pastry, and use it to form a lid.
- Mark a cross on the top to allow the steam out. (You can of course decorate your pastry however you like at this stage or sprinkle it with sugar.)
- Egg wash the lid and then return to the oven for another 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve with a large dollop of Clotted Cream and a cup of tea!
This Pie is great cold too, so save some for later. It will also reheat if needed.